A Quick Overview
- If you wish to use the open source license of an EMGU product, you must contribute all your source code to the open source community and you must give them the right to share it with everyone too.
- If you derive a commercial advantage by having a closed source solution, you must purchase an appropriate commercial licenses from EMGU. By purchasing commercial license, you are no longer obligated to publish your source code.
Open Source License
EMGU is an avid supporter of open source software. This is the appropriate option if you are creating an open source application with a license compatible with the GNU GPL license v3.
A quick guide to GPL v3 can be found here
If you wish to derive a commercial advantage by not releasing your application under an open source license, you must purchase a commercial license from EMGU. By purchasing commercial license, you are no longer obligated to publish your source code. The commercial version for Windows is optimized for performance.
- Are perpetual and include upgrades to all minor revisions. For example: a 2.0 license includes all 2.x releases including 2.0, 2.0.2, 2.1, 2.2.1, etc.
- Are royalty-free
- Remove any obligations to release any source code.
- Are backward compatible. For example: a 2.0 license includes all 1.x release as well. Commercial licenses are not forward compatible, meaning that if you have a 1.0 license and you need to deploy 2.x release in your commercial product, a 2.0 license upgrade purchase is required.
- Only cover the binary of Emgu CV, and do not cover usage on any non-Emgu implemented binary. Usage of Open CV binary is govern by its own BSD license, usage of ZedGraph is covered by LGPL license, Tesseract OCR is covered by Apache 2.0 license. In general BSD, Apache 2.0 and LGPL license allow commercial usage, however some algorithms implemented by OpenCV, such as SIFT, SURF and haar-cascade is patented in the U.S. It is your responsibility to check whether the algorithms you use are patented in your country and contact the patent owner if you want to use them in your commercial software. Open CV also use FFmpeg, which is under its own license. If you use video encoder and decoder in Open CV, it is likely that you are using FFmpeg components. Legal information regarding FFmpeg can be found here.
- Starting with Emgu CV 2.2.1, the windows commercial release will be built with Intel Composer XE 2011, IPP 7.0 for optimal performance. It is also built with the commercial version of TBB for multi-threading support.
- Commercial package can be downloaded from our website. Using the credential provided during the license purchasing process.